Ask An Expert: Where are some good places to practice? How do you find them?

QUESTION

“My kids started twirling last year, and they love it! But they’ve outgrown our living room… Where are some good places to practice? How do you find them? They’ve been practicing outside, but they complain about the sun being in their eyes, and if it rains/snows, they can’t practice. Are there any tips to practicing outside? Please help!”

Anonymous

ANSWER

by Ellissa Johnson Eby (COACH)

Although the living room may seem like a tight space, some of the best practice can be done there. It offers a tight space to work on rolls and tight contact material. Along with drills and other warm-up exercises.

Another good option is dance studios. Many dance studios will rent out their space usually for an affordable price. You then have use of the mirror which will help you develop your body technique. You can also check into your local YMCA. During open gym hours you can sometimes get in there for height and big tricks. All you have to do is pay for the membership.

I would also recommend continuing to practice outside. Face away from the sun and get some good sneakers on. I always tell my students if they could do it outside they could do it in a gymnasium. I hope this helps.

Ask An Expert

Do you have a baton-related question of your own that you would like to get answered? Click here to submit your question!

3 thoughts on “Ask An Expert: Where are some good places to practice? How do you find them?

• December 5, 2014 at 6:16 am

Good suggestions, Ellissa! Growing up, I practiced in the garage. In winter, I used a space heater and layered up. Twirling in tight spaces CAN be quite productive……great way to really learn that “general handling” that’s so necessary.

• December 5, 2014 at 11:56 am

I live in a winter city, so many times I’d ask my parents to pull the car out of the garage so I could do contact material in the garage. Less dangerous for the home electronics, and still warm and dry. Other places my teams and I have used over the years have included church gyms and fellowship halls, church parking lots during the summer, athletic club gyms, city recreation facility gyms (though we occasionally had to show up at 6 am to get the place to ourselves for an hour), warehouse space owned by a twirler parent’s business, and even at a National Guard armory. Most of our lessons are held in school gyms or multipurpose rooms that our non-profit group rents at a much better price than if we were to rent or purchase a dedicated facility.

• February 28, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I work at an Elementary School and am in charge of facility usage. There are two gyms in my school, small and large. Both would be excellent for practicing! Every summer the school district will set a date for anyone interested in facility usage. On that day people will start lining up outside around 5:00 a.m. and I start taking applications at 8:00 a.m. All that is required is that the interested party fill out an application and an “agreement to hold harmless” (has to be notarized) or provide a certificate of insurance. I submit paperwork to district, they approve or deny, and that is it! I have sport teams, girl scouts, boy scouts, YMCA and others. It is FREE and an amazing place to practice! Check out the Elementary and Middle Schools in your area! 🙂